New year, new you. Every year, I say that my resolution is to get organized. And in 2015, the first place I started was with my purse.
I started with getting a purse organizer, but found it was so bulky and took up half my bag, especially with a laptop (I carry mine home every night from work). It wasn’t until I was about to embark on a week-long business trip that I decided to create my own emergency kit, that could be transferred from one purse to another.
I used an old small makeup bag from Ipsy to create my little kit.
In it I’ve included:
- A travel toothbrush: now I don’t need to run around the house and find mine for weekend getaways
- Squelch: Sometimes you are on the way to dinner and you realize your shirt smells weird. It could smell like food, it could just be you, but you need to find a way to fix it. Before dousing yourself in perfume, try Squelch – it’s a natural, scentless odor remover. It’s compact and perfect for getting rid of weird food smells, pet odors, and smoke, or just freshening up your clothes or even furniture. It doesn’t just mask the smell – it removes it.
- Medicine: Most often found in my kit are Advil Cold & Sinus (yes the kind you have to sign your life away if you buy it at the drugstore) and cough drops, as I’m usually struck with a head cold if I’m going to get sick
- A pen: I always couldn’t find one when I needed one because it was at the bottom of my purse. Now it’s always within reach.
- Lipstick: Sadly there is more lipstick than this in my kit. But I love knowing where my go-to colors are at all times, and it’s great to just pop my kit in any bag when on-the-go. My favorites? NARS Heat Wave and Revlon Ravish Me Red.
- Lip Essentials: Besides my lipstick, I always have with me Aquaphor Lip Repair treatment, perfect to heal cracked lips in the dead of winter and Urban Decay Glide on Lip Pencil in Ozone, a clear wax pencil that helps prevent lipstick from feathering.
- Contacts: There have been way too many times a contact ripped and I needed to turn around and go home. Now I always have spares in my purse.
- Nail clippers: Because in every hotel room I realized it was time to clip my nails. And I was clipper-less.
- Band-aids: Normally I rock the Blister Block if I’m wearing new shoes, but sometimes I forget it. I always try to keep a few Band-aids just in case.
Do you have an emergency kit that you keep in your bag? What do you have in it?
Disclosure: I am part of the Out of Office NY network, which gave me the idea for this post.This blog post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission, at no charge to you. We appreciate your support in helping us keep this blog running.